November 2014 archive

#TBT Wedding Project #1

My first wedding project was to stamp napkins. Of course, I didn’t just want to buy a stamp and do it that way. No. I needed to buy a Print Gocco. I’d been scouring the internets for one, and low-and-behold, one came up for sale in my city. Of course, I snapped it up. These are the instructions:

Instructions!

I had already taken apart the elements of our monogram in illustrator, so I needed to create “the master” – I printed the elements I wanted to “burn” to the screen on the laser printer at work. Something about carbon. I lined up the graphics with the screen, very carefully:

2014-08-23 15.36.44

I loaded the mercury filled flash bulbs into the bulb holder, I asked my fiancee to video tape for good measure, and I pressed down really hard to burn the screen.

2014-08-23 15.41.07Once I had burned the screen, peeled the paper away and admired it, I set work on my napkins. First, I used washi tape to mark out a template so I would always put the napkin in the right spot. Then, I printed the heart first, in pink, and let them all dry:

2014-08-23 16.05.47
2014-08-23 16.06.02 2014-08-23 16.41.35 2014-08-23 16.57.31-1
After all of the hearts had time to dry, I moved the ink block around the outline of the monogram, and filled it black ink. Then I set my mind to printing 100 napkins, again. I think they turned out pretty good!

…T

Getting Organized

So, as my bio says, I went back to teaching this year. Currently, I’m Assistant Teaching within a community preschool and LOVING it. The other Teachers are amazing, the program is amazing, and I’m very happy.

Part of this transition, and going back to school, is keeping my stuff organized. I used to be SO SO SO organized. And then Mr.B happened, and life happened, and somehow, things got out of hand and totally sideways on me.

Anyways.

On the weekend, I went to Ikea {who doesn’t love IKEA??!?!} and purchased some clear bins. They are my favourite, because they are clear, one of the sizes is likely the perfect size, and they stack. The best part: They are affordable! While I was on the hunt for other organizational items, I came across some cute labels, which I downloaded, and added my own text to. After using my paper cutter, I used my 5″ Xyron Creative Station to turn the cardstock into custom stickers! The finished product:

Bin Labels

The large label will go on the side of the bins, and the small label on the front, enabling two directions of label visibility when they get stored. I am organizing my materials likely a little different than most. I have chosen to organize my items according to the most likely groupings of themes in particular months, also to help keep my Preschool Teacher brain on the same page. :-)

Photo 2014-11-12, 8 25 21 AM

Happy Organizing!

I found the template for the tags here:
http://www.thecurriculumcorner.com/thecurriculumcorner123/2012/08/04/desk-nametags-classroom-labels/

I used the font KG Behind Those Hazel Eyes {and as an aside, seriously have a girl crush on the fonts that Kimberly Geswein produces}

My First Post!

Hello!

This is my very first attempt at actual blogging. I’ve got a variety of other half-started projects, and here’s hoping that because I actually spent money on this one, I’ll be able to keep it up & going. :-)

The intention is to share some of my crafty ideas, hopefully turn some of those ideas into projects, and post links to my favourite things: free typography, free printables, etc., and even post some of my own creations as free printables. Every body loves *free* printables!